Thursday, October 13, 2011

Playing with Fire(zilla FTP) . . . and, coming up with my own solutions!!

Last night, I downloaded Firezilla FTP and setup user names and passwords for the three domains I'll be working with during this period.

I played with the program for a bit, mainly looking at how to transfer files from the server to my computer and back again.  Looking at it like this, I can see that my designer/webmaster partitioned each of the pages of my website into its own separate folder.  Hopefully, I can improve on that . . .


The book on migrating the website to WordPress suggests installing WordPress in the root directory of the domain, then renaming a file to temporarily hide WordPress from prying eyes while I work on it.  Then, as things progress, it's suggested to switch the WordPress installation on and off to check things.  It sounds like a disaster-in-the-making.

Today, I installed WordPress in a subdirectory of my domain.  Now, I have a slightly different login protocol, but there's a WordPress installation, free and clear to play with.  First, I want to change the theme, then I'll start the process of migrating  information from the website to WordPress.  A second book I'm referring to is Head First WordPress, by Jeff Siarto.  It has a good chapter on CMS (content management system).

Once I have the WordPress website the way I want it, all it takes is moving/copying a couple of files and voila!! I have a new website in place, without any hassles (I hope).

Next step:  install a new theme . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment